SmArt School of Mebane-Intro to Art Course with Nick & Lauri
“The artist does not see things as they are, but as he is.” ~Alfred Tonnelle
The techniques taught in this course are designed to build important cognitive skills all the while developing your artistic style and personality. Under our guidance and techniques, you’ll be creating fine art and learning the skills to continue to grow as an artist.
Ultimately, over a 6 week span, we will be working towards creating a painting, sculpture, and monoprint that can be reproduced over and over again at home, developing an understanding of colors & composition, and developing the skills to transfer the amazing ideas in your mind into artworks you can be proud of.
Teachers with a combined 30 years experience. Lauri and Nick are long- time professional artists and teachers. Nick taught at the Olyphant Art & Media in Olympia, Washington before settling in Mebane. Nick and his wife Anna own the Bakova gallery in Hillsborough NC. Lauri is a long time resident and art teacher in Alamance County with a private studio in Mebane. Their unique approach to teaching and original concepts have been helping artists and students develop far beyond what they thought was possible.
This course is designed for adult beginners as well as those on the path to becoming professional artists.
What You'll Learn
- Introduction. Lauri Daughtry and Nick Baldridge will lay out the basic principles of creating fine art— color, composition, scale, and how to create artworks inspired by your own imagination — and preview what you’ll learn in the rest of the course.
- Drawing and painting. The fundamentals of expressing yourself through visual art start with a pencil and some basic colors. You’ll learn how to effectively use these mediums throughout the course.
- Mono printmaking. A monoprint is a single impression of an image made from a re-printable block. The journey we will take to create our first monoprint will be the building blocks needed to advance as an artist.
- learning to “see” the art through constructive critiques and right brain exercises. Activating the right brain is a fundamental practice endured by all artists from their early days of learning to the last days of their creative careers. Here we will explain why it’s important and practice building this ancient skill.
- Clay sculpting / Memory strengthening. We will practice the art of drawing and sculpting from memory using unique memory strengthening exercises.
- Conclusion. This course will offer a variety of art mediums for you to explore and fall in love with! It is designed to not only help you become a better artist but to give you a set of skills that can be applied outside the studio, in your daily life. Learning to draw and building the skills to “see” and understand art are skills that once learned stay with you for your entire life.
- This course is limited to 4 people. Ages 16-adult. Social distancing and masks are required.
- When: Six consecutive Tuesdays 6:30-8:00 pm at The smART studio, 204 N Fifth Street, Mebane
- Dates: Sept. 29, Oct. 6, Oct. 13, Oct. 20, Oct. 27 and Nov 10.
- Cost: $260, supplies included, which includes a complete painting set. Your sketchbook is optional.
- Payment is made upfront through www.artsypartync.com and is non-refundable when you reserve your spot.
- Questions? Reach out to Lauri at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nick at @email@example.com
Once you register, we will send a google form to collect information!